National Capital Region Mentorship Circle
Together we are stronger
The WCT’s National Capital Region chapter is delighted to announce the launch of a new and unique mentoring program. The objective is to connect our members with some of Ottawa’s most influential and experienced experts within our industry sectors.
Mentoring is a powerful personal development and empowerment tool. It is a partnership between you and the circle you are matched with. It is a valuable relationship based upon mutual trust and respect, which can last long after the program is complete.
To date, the following industry leaders have agreed to be mentors:
- Janice McDonald, CEO, The Beacon Agency
- Isabel Metcalfe, Owner, Public Affairs Counsel
- Frank O'Dea, Co-Founder, Second Cup and Young Professionals In Training
- Catherine Christie-Luff, Producer, Canadian Public Affairs Channel
- Jackie King, Senior Vice President and General Manager, H & K Strategies
- Sally Douglas, Deputy Publisher, iPolitics
- Melanie Coulson, Director of Content and Engagement, Canada 2020
- Dr. Meenakshi Gupta, Senior Director of Researh and Policy, Information and Communications Technology Council.
How it works
Each male or female mentor will have up to three mentees. This way you will not only benefit from the mentor but also by your peers.
Our male and female mentors will ask questions and challenge you, while providing guidance and encouragement. Our aim is for you to discover, challenge and explore, completing the program with a renewed sense of direction and additional tools to help progress your career.
This unique opportunity comes at no additional cost beyond your annual WCT membership fee.
- The application closing date is September 15th, 2016.
- A Mentoring Committee will then match the applicants with the mentors in teams of up to 3 mentees.
- Each mentoring circle will have staggered starts based on all the participants availability.
- As a mentee, you will commit to participating in five, two-hour sessions over a nine-month period.
- We will then bring both the mentors and mentees together to examine the successes of the program and consider where we could improve the strategy before rolling out a second session.
- Email your application form and CV to
How often and where?
- Each session will take approximately two hours
- The venue will be agreed by the mentor and mentees and dates will be set by the mentor.
- Each session will have a focus which can include the following:
- Aligning core competencies/experience with ambition/aspirations
- Self-confidence: Promoting your abilities and worth
- Enhance your leadership potential
- Hone your management/people skills
- Expand your influence
Who should apply?
- You must be a WCT member in good standing based in the National Capital Region (Ottawa-Gatineau and surrounding area)
- You should be established in your career and committed to your personal progress
- You will bring real experiences and knowledge to explore in your meetings
- You will be committed to attending all five sessions in the program