In 2016 the WCT National Capital Region Chapter launched a unique mentoring program. The objective is to connect our members with the National Capital region’s most influential and experienced experts in our industry sectors. We believe that together we are stronger and can help each other develop and advance our careers through sharing our diverse knowledge and experiences.
“Even if we come from different industries, different careers, it is important that we support each other's efforts. All of us can contribute from our backgrounds and experiences to build each other up.” - Anonymous 2016-2017 participant
The WCT-NCR Mentorship Circle allows you to explore new ideas in confidence in a supportive group setting. It is a chance to look more closely at yourself, the issues, concerns and opportunities you are facing and what you want to achieve. Our aim is for you to discover and challenge yourself throughout the process and to complete the program with a renewed sense of direction and additional tools to help you progress in your career.
The 2018-2019 program is currently underway. WCT will be accepting applications for the 2019-2020 program in fall of 2019. Please sign up to our mailing list to be the first to know of program launches.
How does it work?
- The WCT-NCR board will match the applicants with the mentors in teams of up to 3 mentees. Please note that the mentors may be of any gender and have been chosen because of their leadership and dedication to mentoring women or minorities in the workforce.
- Each team will complete six 2-hour sessions over a 9-month period.
How often and where?
- Each session will last approximately two hours.
- The venue will be agreed upon by the mentor and mentees. Dates will be set by the mentor. Please do your best to accommodate schedules.
- Each session will explore topics such as:
- Aligning core competencies/experience with ambition/aspirations
- Promoting your abilities, knowing your worth and building self-confidence
- Enhancing your leadership potential
- Honing your management/people skills
- Expanding your influence.
Who are the mentors?
- The mentors have been selected based on their level of expertise, career paths and experience as mentors.
- Mentors are leaders in the communication and technology sector or hold a related position.
- Mentors may be of any gender.
Who should apply?
- You must be a member of the WCT in good standing.
- You should be established in your career (or current position) and committed to your personal progress and/or development.
- You should work in technology or communications, either as a sector or position (i.e. HR at a telecommunications company, or developer at a post-secondary institution)
- You should be able to bring real experiences and knowledge to share in your meetings.
- Commitment to the complete mentoring program is essential so it is important to evaluate the time commitment required over the entire 9 months.
This unique opportunity comes at no additional cost beyond your annual WCT membership fee. It is completely separate from the established WCT Mentoring and Protégé programs.
Please ensure your WCT membership is in good standing for the 2018-2019 season. Learn more membership benefits and join here.
- Chamika Ailapperuma, Senior Policy Advisor at Government of Canada, Innovation, Science and Economic Development
- Danelia B. Bolivar, Parliamentary Affairs Consultant
- Della Vaslet-Thomson, Consultant
- Donna Reid, Director of Marketing at March Networks
- Erika Lalonde, Bilingual Communications Specialist at the University of Ottawa
- Erin Blaskie, Director of Marketing at L-SPARK
- Heather Bakken, Deputy Publisher & VP Growth at iPolitics
- Jason DiTommaso, Strategic Partnerships at Ontario Society of Professional Engineers
- Kassia Clifford, Changemaker
- Kelly Rusk, Digital Director/Partner at Banfield
- Kristal Felea, Executive Producer and Partner at Banfield Agency
- Robyn Hulan, Chief of Staff at Canadian Armed Forces, Canadian Army
- Sara Kemp, Senior Vice President at Burson Cohn & Wolfe
- Sharon Cheung, Communications Specialist, Public Affairs and Reputation Management at NAV CANADA
- Vicki Iverson, CTO & Co-founder at Iversoft
- Wendy Knight Agard, Squad Group Leader, Coach, Performance Consultant at Nokia