Last week, our Executive Director, Joanne Stanley, participated on a panel on how leaders find and grow their successors. Joanne, Dr Roberta Bondar Program Champions Sarah Paquet and Lisa Carroll, and Dr Roberta Bondar Program participant Jasmine Shaw all shared their insights and advice for emerging, growing and established leaders.
Here are our top takeaways from the panel:
- Surround yourself with people who are different than you, who challenge you and force you to grow. — Jasmine Shaw
- Job titles don't matter. You already have what it takes. —Jasmine Shaw
- Be creative with where you recruit to ensure you're attracting the broadest pool of potential leaders. — Lisa Carroll
- Be a "learn it all" organization—not a "know it all" organization. — Lisa Carroll
- Lisa and Jasmine both shared the importance of networks and supporters—one way you can grow your network is through WCT's National Mentorship Program. Applications are open now through Dec 11!
- Senior leaders today need to take chances to build an inclusive workforce and bring the broadest range of perspectives to the table. — Joanne Stanley
- Attracting women is just part of the equation. You also need a retention strategy. — Sarah Paquet
- Opportunity is not always going to look the same! — Sarah Paquet
- Be a participant in your career. Raise your hand and take every opportunity to get out of your comfort zone. — Sarah Paquet